I’m gonna say this once: if you, as a straight dude, can sing the praises of a fictional female character to the high heavens, talk about how awesome and badass and hot she is, and how her skimpy costume (if she has one) is perfectly representative of her character, and defend her in arguments,…
Some costumes need a certain body shape wearing an hour glass shape costume on a pear shaped body is retarded and wouldn’t look right
Nah dude, I’m pretty sure people can wear whatever the fuck they want without reference to your shitty opinions on bodytype.
Dude, just FYI, the amount of shit that dudes wear which I find utterly unattractive and ill fitting and FANTASTICALLY out of place on their body type could just about fill the GRAND FUCKING CANYON. Men wear douche tee-shirts and pants draped around their fucking ass. Tall, bulky, muscular men wear skinny jeans. Men get the latest popular haircut no matter their hair type and lather on a hardened shell of mouse and product.
You know what the difference is?
NOBODY ASSUMES THAT THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO TELL A DUDE THAT HIS WIDE SHOULDERS DON’T LOOK GOOD IN THAT TEE SHIRT. NO MOTHERFUCKERS IN GQ MAGAZINE OR GAMER WEEKLY ARE TELLING MEN HOW TO DRESS FOR THEIR TRIANGLE OR SQUARE OR 2x4 SHAPE.
This is why it’s fucking sexist as shit for assholes like you, whatever gender you happen to be, shelling out hypocritical nonsense about how women “can’t” wear “that” because they’re “shaped wrong.”
The last time a bunch of immigrant kids got into our precious country was under another darn liber—oh, yeah. Reagan.
Funny how the right didn’t scream bloody murder then, isn’t it? Only why ain’t I laughing?
Content warning: This post contains graphic language, slurs and triggering content
This article is heartbreaking. And true.
There is a reason I throttled back on doing a lot of creative gaming content a few years ago. And why I still avoid taking some jobs in the gaming world when they’re offered to me. And why, when we have a female host on any of our Geek and Sundry gaming shows, we have to monitor the comments on YouTube extra, to remove the many comments that are offensive and pollute our community’s spirit of equality. Because I hate that shit.
There is an endemic acceptance in the gamer world that “well, it comes with the territory” when a woman receives threats and harassment and the hateful anonymous internet dialogue is focused on her body and whether they would “do” her or not. I don’t know why this became okay. It’s a vocal minority that has been given way too much power over the industry dialogue, and I am so happy to see more and more articles like this shining the light on what reasonable gamer men and women have been conned into accepting as a given.
NOTHING is a given in this world. And frankly, it taints the art form we so love and keeps it back from becoming more respected and more diverse to not at least TRY to fight it. Gaming deserves more than complacency in this area.
Even posting this link will cause me to receive hateful Tumblr PMs. I can always tell when something I write gets linked on certain places on the internet (like 4 Chan or a few other forums of troll-hood), because I’ll immediately get dozens of hate mails along the veins of what is posted in this article.
Well, I’m a lucky one to be prominent enough to have 10 supporters for every hater. I mostly feel sorry for girls and women who aren’t in my position, who may just give up on gaming when they’re too beaten down to fight anymore.
We have to change that. For the good of what we love doing, gamers! Okay, back to work :)
It says something about our society, and gamers, and frankly, my life, that I can’t repost that to any of my public social media. I’m just not up for the seven days of constant social media attacks and namecalling, Not-All-Men-ing and WHY DO YOU HATE MEN guilt trips.
That’s the highest cost for me, in this fight. Sometimes I can’t fight, because I just don’t have the spare energy to hold up my shield right then. I need to just go about my life for a while.
This is absolutely beautiful! However, inspired by all the things about equality that keeps popping up on my dash, I have to ask, why there’s no white woman included. It seems like the maker have tried to cover as many races as possible, so then why not white?
shut up, there are millions of white only based posts like this, open ur eyes
are you serious omg
oh my fucking god there’s a meme not specifically representing the most represented race in the world, someone call a quorum!
Point 1: You… Do know that race is way more nuanced than this, right? That there are hundreds of defined cultural and racial differences from Pacific Rim to Russia to Romany to Latino to dozens of different represented races on the African continent? This does not remotely come CLOSE to representing everyone. Not by a factor of hundreds.
Point 2: For the love of fuck, don’t be this guy. White people don’t need more representation. We need to learn to share the stage. This is sharing, it is fucking gorgeous.
The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
Being healthy and having/maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a lot of work and money and I’m really sick of pretentious douchebags nagging and shaming people for “not buying organic” or eating at fast food places without even taking into consideration why they’re limited to those choices and the implications of it.
It’s not cause they’re lazy or don’t care about their health, but because they don’t have the luxury of taking time to prepare breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
This is such a classist fucking post god you ignorant fucks.
Damn I saw this at the top hoping so hard this was true and that ppl could afford to eat healthier now & nope, shouldn’t have even gotten my hopes up
Also, food deserts. I live in one.
Cheese-its? $3.29 for a normal sized box.
1 orange: $2.99.
Box of Kraft Mac N’ Cheese: $1.19
Apples: $5.35 per pound.
Big Mac: $1.35
Lean hamburger: $8.97 per pound
This is classist bullshit totally ignoring the fact that some people who have to rely on fast food don’t have reliable electricity or a fridge. So yes, I’m sure they could get SOMETHING cheap, which would spoil over night. I used to live in the most run down part of my current town. The entire neighborhood was college students and Latino. Shockingly, we got the shittiest utilities management in the town.
Fun story. We used to call Wednesday “Trash Water Day.” Why? Because if it rained, and it often does where I am, the dump trucks would fill up with a few feet of water, and because the nice rich people near the Ivy League end of town would throw tantrums and stop funding things if they smelled garbage, so they would go to them first and come to us last. And since all our roads were ten times worse than theirs, they bounced all over the place splattering the entire road with a miasma of sewage juice and trash falling off the top of the truck. Our neighborhood would smell like rot for days after a rainy trash day.
So no one who actively makes the choice to spend more on vegetables than you have to is allowed to fucking talk to me about healthy eating. When you live in the only neighborhood you can afford and your power goes out twice a week minimum, you buy food that doesn’t go bad and you suffer with your lack of ventilation and you hate assholes like the one who wrote the original post.